Saturday, January 23, 2021

Favorite Place: Home on the Ranch

Undoubtedly my favorite place is back home on the ranch. At heart, I am a simple country boy that is supremely content with the peace and beauty which characterizes my life on the ranch. I have lived and worked at the ranch since I was fifteen and some of my best memories come from those pastures and fields: learning to drive a car and a tractor both in the field next to my cabin, the sight of thunderstorms rolling in over the prairie, and innumerable sunrises and sunsets which would steal the breath from any artist at their grandeur and majesty!

(Thunderstorm Overhead: Personal Photo)


(Sunset over the Field: Personal Photo)

                                                    (Work Pens: Montgomery Hill Gallery)


I haven't traveled much or seen the wonders which proliferate the world, but I love my home on the ranch and the simplicity that comes with it; there has been my anchor and security and that's truly all I need.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pictures, Reid! I especially love the one of the sunset of the field; it's gorgeous! One of the things that mythology and folklore does is to give us ways to connect to the world around us, and also to re-connect with that pastoral world: ranch, fields, prairie, all of that... and being able to add images to the writing can really deepen that connection. I am so curious to see what kinds of stories you will be inspired to write this semester! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Story: The End of Beowulf

 A Tale from the Background Sven stared enviously at the pile of gold in the dragon's lair. Wiglaf had just commanded all of the earls, ...