Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Growth Mindset

 Growth Mindset

While I have heard of Dr. Dweck's theories of growth mindset before, I have never paid much attention to them or given them much credence. I had always thought it was some fad educational theory that someone had dreamed up to create a name for themselves and garner some notoriety; but that is certainly no longer the case. During her TED Talk, Dr. Dweck showed the empirical evidence that creating a growth mindset learning environment is resoundingly successful in creating better students who are more driven to learn. As she continued describing the qualities of growth-driven and those of fixed-stagnated students I began to have the growing realization that much of what has driven me both in school and life has been deriving from a fixed mindset. Instead of looking for opportunities to challenge myself, I have assumed that a challenge means I am not equipped well for that scenario. Instead of seeking to grow past that, I have steered clear of that which I know I am not as good at so I could continue to succeed in that which I specialize. 

As a result of this realization, I am determined to try and find ways to break myself out of this mold. Instead of shying away from challenges, I am going to try and seek out new intellectual and relational avenues which I have struggled with in the past in hopes of growing to be better equipped for them in the future. To do this, I plan on taking many opportunities to grow my understanding of growth mindsets and seeking out opportunities to put what I learn to use. I plan on taking advantage of the opportunities offered to me in this class (which are undoubtedly outside my comfort zone) to grow in the areas which this class focusses on: discussion, imagination, and, to a degree, acceptance of randomization!

Big brain spells danger in the animal kingdom | The Times

(Image Source: The Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The End of Beowulf

 A Tale from the Background Sven stared enviously at the pile of gold in the dragon's lair. Wiglaf had just commanded all of the earls, ...