Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Week 2 Reading Overview

Reading Schedule 

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Aesop (Jacob)

Week 4: Aesop (Winter)

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Sinbad

Week 6: Ancient Egypt

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Monkey King

Week 9: China Folktales

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10:  Cherokee

Week 11: Great Plains 

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12:  King Arthur

Week 13: Beowulf

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Ashliman

Week 15: Russian
File:Coyote portrait.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
(Image Source: Wikimedia Commons)
I am so excited about so many of these units that's it's difficult to narrow it down to a few! Many of my choices on this list come from a podcast I listen to called Myths & Legends which narrates short versions of many folktales and mythologies. While I love this podcast, it often leaves the stories open-ended and leaving the listener wanting to know more. The reasons for this are understandable, one guy can only put out so much content a week; but it has left me desiring more from some of my favorites. 
Likely the two I am most excited to read are the stories of the Monkey King and of King Arthur. Both of these are quite large collections of stories and, as a result, have left me with much to be discovered in them. Additionally I am excited for the Cherokee and Great Plains stories for multiple reasons: foremost I believe that Native stories are quite unique and very underrepresented in culture, secondly I am both Cherokee and Osage and would like to know more about the stories of my ancestors! That is the main reason I chose the image I did for this post; the Coyote is often the trickster in Native stories and is one of my favorite characters from my scant interaction wit hNative tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The End of Beowulf

 A Tale from the Background Sven stared enviously at the pile of gold in the dragon's lair. Wiglaf had just commanded all of the earls, ...