Thursday, March 18, 2021

Week 8 Progress

I am quite happy with most of my progress this semester! I haven't had much experience writing for fun since I came to OU, as most of my writing has had to be for academic papers and research, so I have greatly enjoyed this creative outlet! There have been a few stories I felt that I had a large amount of difficulty writing and conveying well, but they are the minority and I feel like the ones which were done well make up for those in my evaluation of my work. Undoubtedly, I am most proud of a couple of my weekly stories, The Woodcutter's Axe Mice Tales, because I feel like they highlight my creative and linguistic skills the best. In addition, many people acted as if they enjoyed these tales, which was very gratifying. 

While I have not done many of the extra credit options thus far in the semester, I do still plan on doing them in the later half of the class. The primary reason I have not is mostly scheduling, as I have had a difficult time melding the workload of this class with my schedule (silly excuse because the class is so flexible, but I think that is why I have so much trouble with it). 

I am quite happy with my blog website, aside from a few formatting issues which I have had trouble resolving and am very proud of my website. I have spent several hours tweaking every aspect of my storybook website so that it is as impeccable as I can manage each week. I am proud of the work I am doing there and want that to show when my readers come to see what the page is about. 

Far over the misty mountains cold | www.youtube.com/watch?v=… | Flickr

(Image Source: Flickr)

One change I intend to implement in the second half of the semester is simply better scheduling. I have had to wait until Sunday night several weeks to turn in my assignments, largely because of poor planning at earlier points in the week. As such, I am reevaluating my schedule to (hopefully) allow more time earlier in the week for assignments. In addition, I would like to try and experiment more with different perspectives in my writing. Up until this point, all my stories have been in third person, either omniscient or limited, and would like to branch out into first person some in the later half of the semester. Part of this would asl require me to better understand character motivations and emotions, something which I have largely left out of and neglecting in my stories. 

Finally, there are still some minor tweaks I would like to make to my blog specifically. I have noticed that pictures often will go out of the boundaries I had set for them and bleed over into other areas of my page. This is very unappealing visually and is representative of laziness which I do not want associated with my work. Other than a few technical issues like that, there is not much would change about my blog page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: The End of Beowulf

 A Tale from the Background Sven stared enviously at the pile of gold in the dragon's lair. Wiglaf had just commanded all of the earls, ...